Sewing for my wedding! Part One: the WaitingTM

I realized I would have to sew my own wedding attire when I envisioned what I would wear: a wedding gown top with white suit pants and a cropped white suit jacket on top. I had originally wanted the pants and gown top to be connected as a jumpsuit, but I'm kind of scared of my boobs bursting out of the top as it is, so I figure I should put as little extra weight on it as possible.

My inspiration comes partially from the quinceaƱera suit in the modern One Day at a Time, and partially from a dream I had a few years ago, shortly before realizing I'm nonbinary. I was identifying as a man at the time (and single if I remember correctly), and I dreamt that I was getting married wearing a blazer atop a wedding gown. I decided lately I didn't particularly like the specific look I had in the dream, but I wanted something with the same genderfuck vibe. Then I remembered the quinceaƱera suit and realized I could wear an entire suit and not deal with the hassle of a big floofy skirt but still have a nice pretty top as though I were wearing a wedding gown. Another benefit, in my more grown up version, is that a wedding gown can show off a lot more of my body than your classic tux, and I've grown to really love my body lately, so why not show off?

In response to learning what I planned to wear to the wedding, my fiancee--also nonbinary--suggested they do the opposite of my bodysuit: a suit on top, a dress on the bottom. I wasn't entirely sure how to implement this in a way that looks good, so I made them scroll through patterns with me on the Mood Fabrics blog. They decided they liked this dress (below), and I fell in love with it as well. I'm slightly dreading the actual sewing of it (especially if the fabrics arrive as late as they might and I have to cram), but I'm super excited to see them in it! I think it really matches the general aesthetic they put out when they dress fem, and they're going to look beautiful. And it's not bad luck that I'll see them in their wedding dress before the wedding, because I may be the groom but I'm also the seamstress! Yay, loopholes!

An image of a drawn button-up dress that looks a bit like a long, curvy suit jacket with shorter sleeves and a belt tied around the waist. The skirt of the dress is A-line and flares out for optimal spinny.

At this point, I'm mostly waiting for the fabrics. I've printed out patterns for both my bodysuit/corset and their dress and my fiance and I assembled and subsequently cut out their pattern pieces. I've just sewn the bodice out of muslin to make sure it fits them--they were in between sizes, but I removed the bust dart from the front of the larger size so that might help. Unfortunately, that's all I can do for now because it'll be at the very least a week before the fabrics get here. They might get here like 3 days before the wedding and I'm very much praying that's not the case. If it seems like they'll be that late, I'll go to Wal-Mart or something (sorry, don't really have fabric stores near here that aren't unreasonably expensive and way out of my budget) to at least buy fabrics I can use for my bodysuit, because there's no way I'm getting another 5 yards of suit material and it'll at least give me something to sew so that I have more time on my hands for their dress when the fabric gets here. And my fiancee has offered (well, I asked) to help with the non-sewing parts of making the outfits, so hopefully that'll cut down the time that I need to make them.

The next step, besides making sure the bodice fits them and noting any adjustments I need to make, is to cut out the pattern pieces for my bodysuit. I might have to make the whole thing out of muslin to make sure it fits and probably make adjustments--all of these patterns seem to be exclusively made for people with hourglass figures, so my waist puts me at several sizes above my hips and bust (which is impressive because neither of those are particularly small). If I were to go to a dressmaker or something, they would probably think I'm pregnant. Anyway, my main goals in the test run are to adjust it for more of a rectangular figure and to make sure the fabric cup patterns properly cover the bra cups I got--I'm thinking that shouldn't be much of a problem because I purposefully got cups that are a bit too small for me and the pattern is supposed to accommodate up to a D cup (although can we talk about how inaccessible that is? It has two options, one for B/C and one for D... what if someone's boobs aren't like perfectly average?), but my worry is that it's not meant for push-up cups. The website didn't specify, so we'll see. If I need to, I'll be able to adjust the pattern.

Because this is such a big project, and because it'll take a while, you can expect at least one more blog post about it. I might not have time to post about it again until after the wedding, but you'll definitely get an update eventually! Besides, the wedding is in like three weeks so that's not terribly long to wait anyway. So for now, here's hoping the fabrics get here as soon as possible so I have a bunch of time to sew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The chronicles of trying to restore my old laptop

Git should be used for things that Git was not intended for

FOSSifying my home | Project One: Media Center (Planning)