Acting in The SpongeBob Musical

Saturday night last week was the last showing of The SpongeBob Musical. You may have noticed I haven't done much posting of writing, art, etc in a while, and the show was why. I think being in a musical was both really healthy for me, physically and socially, and really helpful in regaining my voice after getting covid last winter, but it unfortunately takes a lot of time and energy. Even when the performances started and our almost-full-workweek of long rehearsals was cut down to 3 3-hour-or-so performances and one pickup rehearsal a week, I was spending my entire 3 days off recuperating and didn't have much energy for art--certainly not enough at a time that I could post it. I've also been distracted because of how little energy I have, so even when I had the motivation to do stuff related to art (basically just plotting out a play I'm writing) I haven't had the memory to post it or write about it. Hopefully this will change now that the show is over, although the next week or two I'll be moving so I might also be forgetting to post. I think I'll ask my spouse to remind me.

But while I'm here, I might as well talk about SpongeBob. I'm not gonna write a critique of the writing of the show, although I certainly could, but I'll tell you some of my thoughts on the show and what it was like being in it. I did definitely enjoy watching the musical when I was doing my actor's research on it, and actually being in it was a blast.

Vocally

When I first did my research on The SpongeBob Musical, a month after I had covid, I looked at the part ranges to see if I even could play any of the main characters. I was disparaged by how high all of the male characters whose name I recognized sang (warning to mobile users, that link is to a PDF): I noted to myself that the only part whose vocal range was entirely within mine was Squidward, and that was pushing it. I thought, with luck, I'd be able to sing Plankton's part after another month or two of healing. SpongeBob, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs were out (as well as, obviously, parts such as Sandy and Pearl that are expected to sing alto/mezzo/soprano).

Little did I know, my own vocal part (a bass-singing character and the bass/lowest ensemble part, together) would require a range of E2-G#4. The bottom note I already knew I could hit, but that top note is actually only a whole note lower than the top notes Patrick and Mr. Krabs have to sing. I guess technically I was right, because I definitely can sing Plankton's top note now and I can't quite sing Patrick's or Mr. Krabs', but I might have been able to get there if I had had reason to. I'm almost positive I'll be able to by this time next year if I continue to work on my voice.

And I had to work on my voice this summer. With that G#, I learned how to access my head voice finally after having lost it during my second puberty. To make sure I could consistently hit that low E in a way that was audible and sounded good, I would force myself to stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning on Thursdays and Fridays (and usually Wednesdays for our pick-up rehearsals on Thursday) so that I could sleep in until almost 3pm the next day without my body refusing to stay asleep. In general, I picked my teas carefully before any given rehearsal or performance. Usually no caffeine and no tannins (so even a decaffeinated green tea is a no-go). If I really needed some caffeine, usually because I'd exhausted myself the night before at a rehearsal or performance, I'd have a minty green. As much as I already miss my castmates and singing with other people, I'm so glad that's over. I can sleep at reasonable times and drink whatever I want, because even if I continue to work on my voice while I'm not in a show, or even if I record my own music, I don't have to worry about always being able to sing specific notes well at specific times. If I can't hit that note while I'm recording in the evening, I'll try it the next morning or vice versa.

Socially

I'm already sad about the show being over, and the cast party was yesterday (at the time of writing this). I forgot how much being in a play (especially a musical to be honest) fills that void in my life: even in a cast where I didn't fully fit in, it's almost impossible not to be really close with them. Now I'm scared, because every time I've been in a temporary group (such as a class or a show etc) that was like "we need to keep hanging out after this!!!" we never did. Fortunately at least this has a Discord server, which I imagine people will still at least keep somewhat in touch on, but that's no match for singing and dancing with people, and I doubt we'll continue to even voice chat while gaming nearly as much as we did during the show. I'm hoping I retain at least a couple of friends from this, because I felt so loved and belonging with them. I realize this has happened to me at every end of every show I've ever been with.

Physically (cw for fatphobia mention, and body image discussion but positive)

Well, the doctors were right and wrong. I definitely did need more exercise, and the exercise of the show absolutely contributed to my health, but on the other hand, I'm still fat! But I feel pretty smug about it. Like, before, they were wrong to assume that my fatness was contributing to my health, but they were right that my sedentary lifestyle wasn't helping me. Now I get to be like "well would you look at that, I'm living my best life and my weight hasn't changed at all" (actually I think I might have gained some, but the significant part is I definitely didn't get any thinner)! So I'm feeling pretty good about that. Plus, it's always nice to be a little healthier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The chronicles of trying to restore my old laptop

Git should be used for things that Git was not intended for

FOSSifying my home | Project One: Media Center (Planning)